Monday, April 28, 2014

SEALS, SEA LIONS, OCEAN, 5x7 PLEIN AIR ON MASONITE by TOM BROWN


Click here to purchase:

These guys are really NOISY! I painted this on location down at the ocean. I don’t know the difference between sea lions and seals, but these were the ones with tiny ears.

I got as close to their rock as I dared, setting up my easel on some nearby rocks slightly closer to the sandy beach. They’re beautiful, sleek creatures. But when they begin vying for the best position on the rocks it gets really noisy.

I did get wet getting out to the rocks where I put my easel, but it was worth it. As I waded out to the rocks where I set up my painting gear I had to hold it high over my head to keep it dry (along with the painting itself).

I also did some quick pencil sketches as preliminary studies, and I thought it would be interesting to show them here. Everything worked out beautifully, and it was a real kick to come back with this little jewel. I hope you like it too.

Thanks for stopping to look,
Tom Brown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home