Friday, August 17, 2012

ABANDONED RURAL FLORIST SHOP, NOSTALGIA, AMERICANA, TOM BROWN ORIGINAL OIL PAINTING


I sketch constantly, recording things I may want to paint some day. And "some day" has finally come. The sketch shown with this painting was among long-forgotten things I recently found in the back of my studio. And I’ve finally done the painting based on it, years after doing the sketch.

I had discovered this abandoned shop years ago along a country road. I felt it had an interesting mood, a bit of mystery, and it was filled with nostalgia. I guess I'm a visual storyteller. I enjoy the hidden stories suggested by scenes like this, and I enjoy telling those stories in paintings.

Why was this little shop built here in the middle of nowhere? Who owned it, and what was their story? Did the shop thrive once, and why did it close so many years ago?

The little shop now leans precariously, threatening to collapse. The front awning, once so colorful and bright is now faded and torn, falling down. Even the hand-painted sign over the entrance is too faded to read, perhaps like the dreams of whoever built this little shop.

If you enjoy visual stories like this keep an eye on my auctions for more of these cherished memories of bygone days. I'll show a couple more each week, done from the old forgotten sketches.

ABANDONED RURAL FLORIST SHOP
6X8 INCH ORIGINAL OIL PAINTING by Tom Brown

If this one speaks to you CLICK HERE TO BID:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/tombrownfineart/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg

Thanks for stopping to look,
Tom Brown
tombrownstudio@cox.net  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home