Wednesday, November 02, 2011

OCEAN, SURF, SKY, SAND, TOM BROWN PLEIN AIR OIL PAINTING





Yesterday I discussed how I look for the “visual poetry” in a subject. I find the aspects that emotionally attracted me and put those feelings into the painting.

I painted this one at the seashore, sitting on the sand as the waves washed in with a hypnotic rhythm. It was a very restful, dreamy mood and I wanted to put that feeling into the painting.

I noticed the criss-cross pattern the waves left on the sands. And the many subtle colors in the waves, the colors of the surf itself, the sky and even the wet sand. These were a part of the experience and I made sure to include these things as well.

As surf rolled in and broke in white foam, it made shimmering reflections in the surface of the ocean. I studied wave after wave, observing these effects so that I could capture that effect also.

I was very pleased with this painting; I think it captured the feelings I wanted to express. I hope you like it too. “A RESTFUL DAY AT THE OCEAN” is a 6x6 inch oil painting, created on site directly from nature (en plein air).

Thanks for looking, Tom Brown
tombrownstudio@cox.net

Please take a look at my eBay auctions too:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/tombrownfineart/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home