Thursday, June 09, 2011

BURMA SHAVE ROAD SIGNS, NOSTALGIC PAINTING BY TOM BROWN





To bid on this painting click here:
http://shop.ebay.com/tombrownfineart/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

BurmaShave signs added a special thrill to long car trips when I was young.

We kids would sit in the back seat eagerly anticipating the next series of these little signs along the edge of the road, which had a rhyme that always ended with the words “Burma Shave.”

That advertising campaign finally ended in the early 60s. So if it’s new to you, you might want to Google it and enjoy a drive through the past.

As I painted this scene not far from my home I recalled the excitement of watching for those little red signs along the road and I decided to add them to this painting. You need to look closely to see them in the foreground.

Apart from that, this is exactly how this scene actually looked. I painted this during a plein air class I conducted for other artists. For the class it was a lesson in how to depict aerial perspective, but for me it was a trip down memory lane.

“BURMA SHAVE ROAD SIGNS” 8x5 inch original plein air oil painting by Tom Brown
tombrownstudio@cox.net

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home