Sunday, July 25, 2010

ABANDONED COUNTRY STORE, TOM BROWN OIL PAINTING


“FOOD – GAS – BAIT”
5x7 INCH ORIGINAL OIL PAINTING
BY TOM BROWN

It's hard to imagine why some business concepts fail to thrive. It may have something to do with the naming of the place. For example this little roadside shop with a sign reading: “FOOD GAS BAIT”. Perhaps that wasn’t very appetizing to some people.

I love exploring remote back roads and finding little country stores and abandoned buildings with an interesting history. Especially places that may have seen better days, but appear to have been unique in their time.

I always carry my oil paints and easel with me at times like this so I can create paintings of these glimpses into the past on the spot (plein air painting).

In this painting I deliberately kept the colors subdued and used lively, painterly brushwork to create an interesting surface texture with richly applied, juicy oil paints.

To bid on this painting, see my eBay auctions:
http://shop.ebay.com/tombrownfineart/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

1 Comments:

Blogger nancy wood said...

The greens in this one, of yours, are spectacular. I tried to work small, but had to return to 8X12, sigh of frustration. I can't comprehend being as masterful at this type of painting, as you are. Bewildered by your expertise, love, Nancy

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home