Tuesday, February 16, 2010

LARGE HARBOR SCENE by TOM BROWN




“QUIET COLORS”
12x15 inch Original Impressionist
Oil Painting by Tom Brown
SOLD

An artist friend and I were discussing the work of SC Yuan recently, and it inspired me to do a painting in a similar style. Just to get it out of my system. We had just been painting at water’s edge on Balboa Island, and that provided the idea for this subject.

This piece is influenced by SC Yuan's work. But it is a cross between Yuan's style and the style I normally use in my own work.

I began this painting by mixing a pile of black from the spectrum colors on my palette. Then I used that mixture to gray-down nearly all the colors used in the painting. This is unusual for me, since I normally tend to push the color a bit in my subjects.

Painting this way resulted in the subtly grayed colors so prevalent in many of Yuan’s paintings. I was quite pleased with the final look of the piece, and I’m including a detail image where you can see these final color mixtures a little more closely.

Hope you like it.

Thanks for looking, and have a delightful day! For purchasing details email me at: tombrownstudio@cox.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home