Monday, January 18, 2010

TOM BROWN / LARGE BARN PAINTING




“A LOOK BACK IN TIME”
18x24 inch acrylic painting
by Tom Brown


This painting was done many years ago at a time when I favored a great amount of detail in my paintings. The degree of looseness or tightness used in the brush strokes is a very personal issue, and I thought it may be of interest to my followers to see this painting of a Midwestern barn done in the distant past.

In the early years of my art career I favored an almost photo-realistic approach in my paintings. In the detail image here you can see that I paid a lot of attention to tiny details like the texture of glass compared with wood grain.

I even accentuated minute details like the highlight on the shard of broken glass and how the cross-cut texture of wood used for the window frame differs from the rough-hewn barn siding.

Over the years my taste and artistic development evolved. Today I favor a more emotionally charged brush stroke.

I feel the type of stroke I use today more clearly communicates the heart and soul of what I want to express in my work. Both styles are valid. It is purely a matter of subjective interpretation for the individual artist.

Let me know if you found this interesting. It’s a little glimpse into the distant past.
tombrownstudio@cox.net

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger nancy wood said...

Even then you did that mystifying thing with the complimentary colors' the purple roof and the orange wall. Wow, could anything be more beautiful, I don't see how! N. Wood

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home