Tuesday, October 20, 2009

PLEIN AIR LANDSCAPE, FREE ONLINE ART LESSON by TOM BROWN




“SANTIAGO CANYON ROAD”
5x7 inch California impressionist
plein air oil painting by Tom Brown
And a FREE online art lesson!
(See below.)

Here we go again. I’m still in Santiago Canyon, same as the past two days. This one was painted in the late afternoon along Santiago Canyon Road. Compare this to yesterday’s painting and you’ll see that the light had changed considerably between the noon painting I did and late afternoon when I painted this one.

The light is always much more vibrant and colors are more saturated late in the afternoon. It’s one of my favorite times to paint. I didn’t take many liberties with this scene; it was already an ideal composition. This was one of those magical ones that almost painted itself while I just hung on to the brush and went along for the ride.

Yesterday I offered an ALL-NEW FREE ONLINE ART LESSON for all my fans out there in cyberspace. The lesson featured a painting done in a different part of this same canyon, and it deals with a particular brush stroke technique that can add lots of impact to your own work.

It’s still available. If you haven’t requested it yet, email me for your free copy at tombrownstudio@cox.net and ask for the “SANTIAGO Mini-Lesson.”

Meanwhile if you’re interested in today’s painting email me for purchasing details: tombrownstudio@cox.net

Thanks for looking.

3 Comments:

Blogger FCP said...

Tom, thanks for showing the photo along with the painting. Again, I am in awe of how you enliven the scene with interesting brushwork and more color.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Marian Fortunati said...

Hi Tom...
Love the colors and great shadows that cross the road on this.

I agree with Faye... seeing the photo AND your painting together is instructive and interesting.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Ann Reyes said...

Tom, I love the way you see the beautiful colors in a somewhat drab landscape. And, I, also like the shadows on the road. Your interpretation is very interesting. Thanks for showing the photo with the painting.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home