Thursday, January 22, 2009

LARGE CALIFORNIA FREEWAY PAINTING BY TOM BROWN




“OPEN ROAD”
15x5 inch original oil painting
by Tom Brown
Email for purchasing details: tombrownstudio@cox.net

The open road always holds promise of adventure and exciting discoveries ahead. This painting is one I did for pure self-indulgence. It’s a bit different than most plein air paintings on my blog, but it happens to be one of my favorite pieces. I feel it captures the spirit of the open road.

The painting is shown here inside one of my favorite plein air paint boxes. This painting kit is perfect for anyone who wants to take their paints outdoors. It is ideal for all sizes from the smallest painting to this 15-inch piece or larger. The paint box costs a fraction of most commercial models and it mounts on any standard camera tripod. It sets up instantly, travels well and weighs only three pounds.

I give full details about it in my electronic handout “USEFUL TIPS FOR PLEIN AIR PAINTING.” The handout was originally created for participants in my current plein air workshop, and it is now available for $10 through this blog.

The handout also gives an overview of my plein air working methods complete with two step-by-step demonstrations. And I provide a complete packing list, tips on how to dress for painting outdoors, and details on an innovative tool for solving perspective problems on location. Email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net if you’re interested.

Thanks for stopping to look. May your journey today be a good one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

Tom, I'm fascinated by how you do what you do. I have been pushing myself to get loose but am struggling to get loose to look like anything. Is there a secret?
This is a super format for this picture - somehow it really accentuates the road.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home