Sunday, June 08, 2008

FREEWAY DAILY PAINTING BY TOM BROWN




“OVERLOOKED BEAUTY”
6x6 oil painting on gessoed fom-cor
To purchase this, email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net.
SOLD

By seeing with his soul an artist should breathe life into a subject and create magic, where a camera can merely record facts.

A good example is this scene of a city street and freeway overpass. Something probably overlooked by many, but rich with beauty when you stop to study it. I thought it might be interesting to include a photo of the actual scene for you to compare with my interpretation of it.

I don’t wish to copy things the way a camera sees them, I prefer to paint my emotional reaction to the world. By viewing things this way, even the most mundane subject can be transformed into a work of art.

Have a day filled with feeling, and share that with others.

Today’s thought to smile about:
Making a new friend

3 Comments:

Blogger Marilyn M. King said...

Thanks for showing the photo. I is very helpful and fun to see what is being interpreted by an artist. This is a very lovely painting from a mundane view. Did you paint from the scene en plein air or did you paint from the photo this time? This wasn't clear to me. If it was plein air then I'm glad you weren't hit by a auto!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Tom Brown said...

I actually painted it on location (en plein air). I did have to do a bit of jumping aside once in awhile. And I had to keep an eye out for patrol cars. I don't think it was entirely legal to stand where I did. But the results were worth it, to me at least. Thanks for looking, and thanks for commenting.

Tom

3:34 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Great painting-- there is wonder in everyday sites!

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home