Friday, May 30, 2008

ORANGES, CONTEMPORARY STILL LIFE PAINTING BY TOM BROWN


“SUN KISSED”
8x8 inch original oil painting
SOLD

In addition to painting outdoors on location (en plein air) I also greatly enjoy painting interesting still life arrangements in the studio or outdoors in sunlight. I set up this composition in my back yard. The direct sunlight on the oranges brought out the brilliant colors of the fruit.

I always begin a painting by asking myself what made me want to paint the subject and what I want to express about it. In this case, the COLOR is what excited me, and that’s what I wanted to emphasize.

Next I ask myself how I can make the ordinary become extraordinary. I felt the bold, free brushwork made this piece come alive. To see what I mean, click the image for a larger view.

I was quite pleased with how this piece turned out; hope you like it too. If you would like it on your wall, email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net and we can arrange it.

Thanks for looking. Scroll down on my blog to see more paintings.

Today’s thought to smile about:
Fresh oranges!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I like it.
I also over complicate when trying to create an interesting background. I can see here that it isn't necessary.

7:02 AM  
Blogger DIANE TASSELMYER said...

I really like the purple with the orange. And oranges are a California fruit. right?!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Ann Reyes said...

Very nice!!! It has beautiful colors!

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home