Saturday, May 10, 2008

LEMONS, CONTEMPORARY DAILY PAINTING



“WHEN LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS…”
10x5 inch original oil painting
SOLD

One of the viewers of my blog gave me the idea of painting lemons. (Thanks, Kathy.) Later at the store I found a treasure trove of material, including some lemons with the stems and leaves attached. I had to caution the checkout person about handling the one with a stem and leaf very carefully. (She must have thought I was nuts.)

I liked the idea of using lemons that had a bit of variety, including one lemon that was still a bit green. The green one contrasted nicely with the bright yellow of the other lemons. And the single leaf on one of the stems added interest to this composition.

I also enjoyed putting in a single wedge of lemon among the whole lemons. The light filtering through the translucent slice of the lemon wedge made it seem to glow. What do you think?

If you’d like to own this one, email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net.

Today’s thought to smile about:
The way lemons make your mouth pucker

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I really like the edges and the separation of values but my first thought was, I love it.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Liza Hirst said...

Same here! I love it!

3:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, what a wonderful use of color and highlights, especially on the leaf, and the subtlety of the color defies description, this is really perfection realized. Thank you for being you. Is there a method that you could impart to me? I'd like to know how, in every inch of the painting, back, middle and foreground, you devised to contrast the colors so perfectly, and so delicately. People tell me that they are mystified by my use of color, (Unfortunatley, I have no method, I just paint what I see) the mystery is that I am ignorent and stupid, but my high IQ fools everybody. Love, Carol

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home