Wednesday, November 07, 2007

IMPRESSIONIST STILL LIFE, EN PLEIN AIR



“JUICY COLORS”
6x8 inch original oil


I had just visited the local roadside farm stand and couldn’t resist painting these before they disappeared from our kitchen. I decided to paint them outdoors in direct sunlight to capture the delicious colors, just the way they looked at the farm stand. In one photo you can see the fruits spread out on the table, before I arranged them. In the other photo you can see the actual painting in progress on my easel. I set up my easel where I could stand in the shade of a tree while the fruits were in sunlight. Hope you like the painting. Bon appetite!

If you’re interested in this painting, please email me at tombrownart@gmail.com. I ship to the United States only.

Reminder about my new painting workshop: I invite you to join me for my new PLEIN AIR WORKSHOP on November 17th and 18th near Hollywood. This workshop is for everyone, from ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS to professional artists. Check my website for full details and how to enroll: http://www.tombrownstudio.com/

Today’s thought to smile about:
Visiting the local farm stand

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger James said...

Hi Tom,

I would be interested in your comments on plein air equipment. It looks like you use a simple easel with a board on it and another between the legs for the palette.

I spent the bucks for a Guerilla paint box and a heavy tripod, but always wondered if there was a simpler/cheaper/better solution.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Tom Brown said...

Hi James. I'll be happy to give you my comments on easels, and yes there IS a much better (and cheaper) solution. The easel setup shown in today's blog post is the one I typically use on location. It's lightweight, sturdy, quick to set up and take down, holds virtually any size canvas you would want to use on location, and it's easy to transport. I gave away my French easel when I finally hit upon this solution and I love this setup. I also have other solutions that would interest you. Rather than try to describe it verbally I would be happy to email you some photos along with a description. That would make it much easier to understand. Send me your email address and I'll be happy to email pics to you. - Tom

9:32 AM  
Blogger Kim VanDerHoek said...

Thanks for posting the photo of your still life set-up Tom. It's very interesting to see the real life subject.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home