Saturday, August 04, 2007

SAILBOAT IN MOONLIGHT, ORIGINAL IMPRESSIONIST PAINTING


“CLAIRE DE LUNE” by Tom Brown
6x6 inch original oil painting
SOLD


This small private sailboat was gently rocking in the moonlight at the edge of Balboa Island in Newport Beach. I've painted some of these boats at night in the past and had my laptop-sized paintbox with me just in case.

In this piece I was striving to capture the "abstract" composition above all else. No detail, just enough information to communicate the boat, water and moonlight. I used a big brush, loads of thick, juicy paint and subtle colors.

If you like this one it’s available on eBay; click the headline to bid.

Today’s thought to smile about:
Moonlight on the water

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ed Terpening said...

Would the greens look that yellow in mooonlight?

7:21 PM  
Blogger Tom Brown said...

Hi Ed. Yes. They would and they did. I actually did paint this from life, sitting on a concrete wall at the edge of the channel where this little thing was moored. I did two paintings there, one right after the other that night. I used my little laptop-sized paintbox that I keep in the car for inspirations like this. My wife and I had just had a wonderful dinner on the island and I saw this boat from our outdoor table. I couldn't resist. While my wife had another glass or two of wine at our table I grabbed my paintbox and sat on the wall to paint this and one other. The other one is a bit tighter than this, but this was my favorite because of the abstract quality and luscious brushwork. I have no idea if anyone will want them, but they were fun to do - especially after a good dinner and nice bottle of wine. Thanks for looking. - Tom

7:39 PM  
Blogger Sharon Henson, Artist said...

Hi Tom... I have visited your blog many times and love your work....but this one is outstanding...I love it.!!!!!!!

3:23 AM  
Blogger wanda knight said...

Tm, this is great. I love the loose,painterly look. I lived on a salboat for 3years with my artist friend Tom. We had the romantic idea that we would sail around the world. But hurricane Ivan distroyed her. She was a real beauty.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Mark Landes said...

Excellent. You captured the moment and ended up with a perfect design.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home